I’m not going to be one of those programmers who puts a new demo of their project online every week or every night. I’d rather wait until there is a substantial difference from the previous version. However, I’m still going to post these updates, even if there isn’t a new demo ready. It helps me keep this project organized.
- Right before making the previous demo, I switched to ogg. I forgot to mention that in here. Also, I put in the new long grass and sign tiles.
- Archer’s boomerang ability now shows health given to player.
- Newer NPC tiles are now layered the way they should be.
- The player’s shadow now stays on the ground when pouncing.
- Enemy graphics are stored in an array now, making them much easier to work with.
- Added a second foreground layer. Now I’m ready to really make some forests. This is the most notable update for this version.
- Changed the method of grabbing r,g,b values from pixels. The new method (thanks, FB help file!) isn’t any quicker, but it’s easier to read than the assembly stuff I was using.
- Adjusted the way attack damages are calculated. The new way is better, because the damage amounts don’t get ridiculously high when the player is on higher levels.
- Attacks are now partially based on the strength rating of the player, regardless of what weapon is being used. This will give the warrior a slight advantage, which will be balanced out in other ways…
- Players can miss during attacks. The warrior misses most often, because his aim stat is worst.
- Magic weapons do more damage depending on how much MP they use. This way, the wizard isn’t at such a disadvantage. Previously, the wizard class was just like any other character – except his weapons made him run out of MP. Now there’s a good reason to use those MP-draining attacks.
- The ninja’s weapons are not faster than the other class weapons anymore. It was too much of an advantage.
- Alphabetized my subs and functions. You won’t notice any difference in gameplay, but boy is it easier to work with now!
- View world map (preliminary graphics). This is in addition to the local map already in the game.
- Got rid of the face close-up in the stats menu and other menus. I replaced it with a full body shot for now. We can improve this later.