The enemy guide is finished, and it’s a lot of fun to use.
Also, I just made it so the player can rearrange their inventory by dragging cards around. This will be helpful later in the game when you have a lot of items, because you’ll be able to put your most frequently used items at the top of the list. Or you could arrange them however you want, really. This arrangement will be remembered when you save your game.
I’m thinking about putting in an auto-arrange button which would put things in a default order (probably alphabetical). I’m not sure if it’s needed, though – there aren’t that many items.
I still have to fix new item pickups. As of right now, they wind up in the middle of the inventory. I want them to automatically be placed at the end of the inventory, if it’s something the player doesn’t already have.
The port to the current version of FB is finished, and I’ve also added a game settings menu. So far, it includes: music on/off, sounds on/off, aim guide on/off, fps indicator on/off. This settings menu is accessible from both the title screen and the gameplay main menu.
Over the past day or so, I’ve been having a lot of fun working on the enemy guide (bestiary). This submenu will keep track of which enemies you’ve killed as well as which items you’ve obtained from enemies. The completist player (like myself) will be able to hunt for rare items using this menu and the process of elimination (i.e. “which enemies have I NOT obtained items from yet?”).
The enemy guide should be finished this weekend, and then I’ll probably spend some time working on various fixes.
Demo 1507 was posted a few days ago, and I’ve done some minor adjustments since then. I added a “go back” button to the Save/Load menu, and I fixed a graphical glitch from when the user clicks “no” on the Exit menu. I also did some minor code cleanup throughout the entire project.
Right now, I’m working on switching the project to the latest version of Freebasic. I’ve put this off for far too long, and I’m embarrassed at how old my version of FB is (don’t ask). I’m still in the process of changing things over, but I’ve already noticed that the game is much more stable. So far, it looks like the random crashes have been completely eliminated. We’ll see.