Just a few random notes since last time…
- As mentioned in the previous post, the game is being switched to a lower screen resolution. Specifically, 340×255. But, don’t worry – it will automatically scale up and fill as much of your screen as possible. Pixelly.
- For low res graphics, right now I’m just using scaled-down versions of our sprites and tiles. This doesn’t quite look right, but it’s what I have available to work with right now. Since it looks rough, I probably won’t be posting screenshots any time soon.
- I’m rebuilding much of the engine from the ground up, using chunks of code from the old version of the game. It feels like I’m putting a jigsaw puzzle together. I have the picture on the box for reference, but some of the pieces need to be modified/improved as I go along.
- We’ve been doing some weapon and item planning. This is interesting. We’re leaning more towards the Zelda approach to inventory, rather than Final Fantasy. This means 8-10 weapons will be available, instead of the 16 (or whatever) that I had previously planned for.
- There will still be an interesting level-up system for weapon skills. Since there are fewer weapons now, this means the player will get to spend a significant amount of time with each one (if they choose to).
- Okay, specifically, right now I’m thinking 8 weapons, 8 armors, 8 accessories, 8 usable items, and 8 key items. This would give the game a grand total of 40 items available, plus bundles of arrows and piles of money. So, it’s a larger inventory than Zelda games, but it’s still smaller than FF games.