I’ve made a lot of progress since the last update.
- There is a working main menu. There are 10 submenus, and 7 of them work so far. There is an 8th one that I’m going to do soon (settings menu). The other two can wait (world map and enemy guide).
- The player and enemies can attack now. Projectiles are just a placeholder image right now, but they seem to function correctly. Some minor refinements will still need to be made. Enemies can die and drop items, and the player can die and send the user back to the title screen.
- The player can pick up items and money.
- There is a simple HUD that shows player health and which items are equipped. The player can equip one attack and one support item at a time, and the tab key switches between which one is currently active. Support items are consumables like cure drinks and bombs.
- Saving and loading work well. The “which save slot?” menu looks good, and it shows a mini-screenshot of where the player left off for each slot.
- I’ve started putting my script language back into the game.
I’m going to continue working on the script language for a while. Also, I need to fix up all of the object data and scripts to work with the new coordinate system. This is going to be a pain. Since the game is at a lower resolution than before, the maps are now 1000×1000 pixels instead of 2000×2000. So that door at (1500, 800) that sends the player to (1243, 1711)… yeah, all that stuff needs to be divided by 2. This isn’t difficult for me to do, but it’ll be time consuming because I have hundreds of objects to adjust coordinates for. It’s still better than making new maps from scratch, though.
Once I have the script language working alright and the maps updated, I’m going to start going through and refining things. There are still more features to add (shops, item use, etc.), but it would really be wise for me to stop moving forward and just refine what I have. The attacking, enemy behavior, jumping, and collision need to be perfect.